While targeted towards the most vulnerable; information and advice are provided to all clients.
Services are provided to callers from northern New South Wales to Townsville.
Telephone Advice Service (TAS)
- Provides advice and advocacy about Social Security problems.
- Problems with Centrelink.
- Problems with Employment Service Providers
- First point of contact.
- Operates with a team of accredited volunteers, supervised by paid staff.
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9:30am to 12:30pm
- Contact our office any time during business hours (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm) and we can take your details and our TAS service will call you back. We aim to respond to all enquiries within 48 hours.
- Contact us: 07 3847 5532
- Free Call (in Queensland, outside Brisbane only): 1800 358 511
- If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 07 3847 5532
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 07 3847 5532
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS (www.relayservice.com.au) and then ask for 07 3847 5532
Specialist support and assistance
- For disadvantaged clients who are unable to advocate for themselves.
- Advocacy about issues which are still within the Centrelink decision-making process.
- Advocacy about issues with Employment Service Providers.
- May include limited social work services.
Legal advice Casework
- Legal advice about issues which have progressed to the Social Security Appeals Tribunal or beyond.
- May include representation in a Tribunal or Court - according to our casework guidelines.
- Please Note: our service requires at least 3 weeks to provide advice on any Tribunal matter.
The Welfare Rights Centre has always offered and brokered solutions rather than just highlighting problems.
- We make submissions to Government policy initiatives
- We propose solutions to problems raised by our clients.
Our projects are directed towards finding evidence-based solutions to issues facing our clients.
- Participating in community forums
- Producing publications and articles for newsletters
- Linking with key stakeholders.
- Providing workshops and training about Social Security and Employment Service Providers processes.